Sacramento Love

Sacramento Love
Him + Me = We

Sunday, February 6, 2011

You are the Light of the World




Do you ever get that reminder from God that YOU are LOVED?  I've had a few moments like that centered around light in the last month. 

It started when the power went out.  I had to light a bunch of candles and I put my iPod on so I wouldn't feel so enveloped in darkness.  That's when it happened.  These are the words that reached into the darkness:

"Light of the world you stepped down into darkness, opened my eyes let me see."  (Here I am to Worship)

It was one of those moments where you stop and realize how significant your life is and that every moment, even those you experience that may annoy you, is special.  It's nice when God sends you those little reminders to stop and appreciate all that you have.  As I sat there with no power I thanked God for all the blessings He has given me: a nice apartment, warm clothes, a bed to sleep in, a husband and kitty who love me, the opportunity to affect change in the lives of others.

Today's readings were exactly this.  We begin with Isaiah (my favorite book).

Is 58:7-10
Thus says the LORD:
Share your bread with the hungry,
shelter the oppressed and the homeless;
clothe the naked when you see them,
and do not turn your back on your own.
Then your light shall break forth like the dawn,
and your wound shall quickly be healed;
your vindication shall go before you,
and the glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard.
Then you shall call, and the LORD will answer,
you shall cry for help, and he will say: Here I am!
If you remove from your midst
oppression, false accusation and malicious speech;
if you bestow your bread on the hungry
and satisfy the afflicted;
then light shall rise for you in the darkness,
and the gloom shall become for you like midday.

The Gospel preached this message as well.  God gives us a beautiful compliment by calling us the salt of the earth and the light of the world.  As humans, salt and light are essential to your daily functioning.  We need each other to be the salt of the earth and the light of the world because we all at times crave the little reminders of God's love.

Jesus said to his disciples:
“You are the salt of the earth.
But if salt loses its taste, with what can it be seasoned?
It is no longer good for anything
but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
You are the light of the world.
A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden.
Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket;
it is set on a lampstand,
where it gives light to all in the house.
Just so, your light must shine before others,
that they may see your good deeds
and glorify your heavenly Father.”


I have a little notebook in my purse where I write down little inspirations, and as I left Mass today I wanted to jot down a note to remind myself to blog about the readings today about light and my power outage experience.   I came across a note I wrote about last weekend's readings.   The Gospel was the Beatitudes.

 Matthew 5:1-12a
“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart,
for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you
and utter every kind of evil against you falsely because of me.
Rejoice and be glad,
for your reward will be great in heaven.”

The first reading was about being humble enough to get out of the way and let God speak and act through you.  Zep 2:3; 3:12-13  This was another little reminder to seek God in all that you do so that you can be truly peaceful.  It struck me that this ties in so beautifully to this week's first reading, calling us to be there for others. 

What delighted me in my notebook was ANOTHER "light" note!  This was from the Feast of the Epiphany.  When the Magi saw the light, they followed a new path: the path of God.  Jesus was born to be the light of hope for the suffering.  And only when we can be humble enough to get out of the way and let His light shine through us can the Gospel truly be proclaimed.

God bless.

1 comment:

kristene said...

Amen my sweet Angel.