Sacramento Love

Sacramento Love
Him + Me = We

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Just another day in the life of a DC grad student...

Monday it was announced that President Obama would be speaking about fiscal policy at GW on Wednesday.  I thought, how neat!  Too bad I have research and probably wouldn't be able to see him anyway.  Tuesday night I received an email saying, "You are registered to attend an address by President Barack Obama on Wednesday, April 13, 2011 in the Jack Morton Auditorium."  Say what?!?!?!  YES, PLEASE!!  I promptly cancelled my research plans and contacted my friends to see if anyone else got the same email.  Turns out two of my good friends would be attending as well!!



Me, Erin, and Paul waiting outside in the rain to see POTUS 

We waited outside for about 30 minutes before we were allowed to go in.  We went through security screening and then patiently waited for the program to begin an hour and a half later :-p  We had been warned that there would be a wait, so we all brought reading material.

3rd row seats!!!  He was probably 30 feet away from us. 

We had amazing seats, with only the teleprompter blocking our view of this impressive individual.




The Presidential Seal is placed on the podium just before he arrives. 

The mood in the 244-seat auditorium became electric with anticipation as the VIPs entered.

VP Joe Biden enters just before the Prez

 At about 1:50pm President Obama entered as comfortably as if he were walking into your living room and you'd been friends for 20 years.  He gives off such an amazing energy!  I got so excited and couldn't stop smiling and clapping as he came in!  He began with a cute joke about wanting to give us an excuse to get out of class :)


"It is wonderful to be back at GW.  I want you to know that one of the reasons that I worked so hard with Democrats and Republicans to keep the government open was so that I could show up here today.  I wanted to make sure that all of you had one more excuse to skip class.  You’re welcome." 
Proof that I was in the same room as POTUS!!!!!  Will NEVER forget this moment! 

What impresses me the most about President Obama's speech was that he respectfully disagreed with the Republican's proposal and highlighted a balanced plan that takes a stance on the hard decisions based on the recommendations of the bipartisan committee appointed to tackle the issue.  See this link for the video and text of the speech.


I don't know how to describe the feeling of seeing the President in person.  It is really inspiring and exciting.  I don't care what your political affiliation is, getting to see the sitting President of the United States is a really cool thing to do.  One more reason I love my life.  Paul and I agreed, next time we meet Obama, we're getting a handshake!  :)


A few remarks from the President.

8 comments:

Madi said...

Ggaaaa!! That is SO cool! Love that picture of the 2 of you together =) Despite political differences, I would be equally as excited to see the POTUS in person too. And yes, it took me about 5 minutes to figure out what "POTUS" stood for. It sounds like a flower...

kristene said...

Oh my God, Alison, this is the coolest thing ever! What a piece of history you have participated in. :-)

Mary Ellen said...

What an honor! It does not surprise me that you were given this opportunity. Congrats!

Lincoln and Alisia said...

That is awesome. seriously what are the chances of being selected!?

Anonymous said...

I AM NOT A VERY POLITICAL PERSON MYSELF, BUT WHEN I TOLD KAILUB (6YRS OLD) THAT YOU SAW THE PRESIDENT HE WAS AMAZED! HE SAID HE WANTED TO GO TOO! I TOLD HIM YOU WERE FAR AWAY AT DC WHERE THE PRESIDENT LIVES & HE SAID "I WANT TO LIVE THERE TOO!" EVER SINCE PRESIDENTS DAY HE HAS BEEN INTRIGUED LEARNING ABOUT THE PRESIDENTS. HE EVEN CHOSE A PRESIDENTS BOOK AT THE SCHOOL BOOK FAIR RATHER THAN ANYTHING ELSE. ALL IN ALL YOUR LIL CUZ IN AZ THINKS ITS WAY COOL THAT YOU GOT TO SEE "BARAK O-RAMA" HAHA :)
LOVE YA,
AIMEE

Anonymous said...

How exciting for you Alison! I agree no matter your political slant, seeing the President of the United States has to be an AWESOME experience. I saw Pope John XXIII in Rome when I was 12 years old and still am thrilled that I had that experience some 50 years ago!!!! This experience is something you will be telling your children and grandchildren about!!! Love, Tia Julie

kristene said...

Noni and Papa are so very proud of you. I wasn't a bit surprised that you were one of three selected from your class to see the president's presentation. Since you know how papa loves to brag about his grandchildren you are going to be very hard to top.(Papa) I remember when Eleanor Roosevelt came to Fresno andI took my mother to see her and I was thrilled to death and so was she. I believed everything Obama said and I agree with him ful heartedly. Hope you do too! I will remember when I go to the polls! (Noni) a last word from Papa, I agreed essentially with what he had to say with some reservations. He is a better president than I had expected. God love him. (Papa)

Rachel said...

amazing that you got to see the President!! Also, I found out that I really do like white asparagus too : )