I arrived home a little bit after 6pm with the intent on grabbing a quick dinner and heading over to Sac State Newman for a young adult ministry forum. I walked up the stairs from the basement to get the mail on the first floor, and figuring that it would be faster to take the elevator up to my apt since it is next to the mailboxes and my unit, got on the elevator. I pushed the button for my floor and after about an inch of movement the elevator stopped. I tried to open the door. Nothing. I tried pushing *1 to open the door since I was still technically on the first floor. Nothing. I called the help line. They had me try some things, none of which were successful, so they dispatched a technician to rescue me. I was advised to press the alarm button every few minutes so the tech would know where I was when he got there (there are two elevators in the complex).
I did as I was told and waited. I ate the rest of a CLIF bar and read some of my book, The Death of Innocents. I was fine waiting. I texted some of my family members. Jesse called at one point, not having received my text to see how I was doing. He was shocked to hear I was stuck in an elevator.
After a little while a woman's voice called out, "Is there someone in there?" So I answered, "Yes. Are you here to get me out?" She said no, but that Justin, the manager, knew and that someone was on their way to get me out soon. That was nice of her. A little while later I heard a man's voice. He was like, "Are you ok? Can you breathe?" I said yes of course I could. I was fine, just stuck and reading a book. He told me he was going to find someone with a phone who could help get me out by calling whoever you call when someone is stuck in an elevator. He was very nice and stayed with me awhile. He seemed very concerned and made a big deal about getting me out!! :-) My downstairs neighbor Eric called and said the tech would be there in 15 minutes, so not to worry. The guy chatted with me awhile and I finally said I was fine and he didn't have to wait with me, though it was kind of lonely after he left even though I was fine reading my book...though at this point I had to pee. It makes me happy that there are such nice folks in my building.
FINALLY after an hour the tech came and rescued me. He had to come from Lincoln (35 miles away!) and got stuck in traffic. He apologized profusely and asked me what had happened. It sounds like he fixed it as I heard it ding signalling it was going up a few minutes ago.
So, that was my Friday night adventure! I will have to hear about the forum from Maggie some other time. :-(
I hope, if you ever get stuck in an elevator, it is as low-key as my experience was. I'm glad it wasn't stressful. Annoying, yes. Anxiety-causing? No.
Love, me.
3 comments:
oh my goodness! I'm glad your story was boring...:) There is a little used elevator at work that has a folding chair and a bottle of water in it because it occasionally breaks down! Yikes!
So glad you were safe and how comforting to know that so many people were concerned! Love, Mom
Oh my gosh!!!
Or, to quote you, "Holy F**K!"
glad you weren't totally bored...for an hour!
how kind of your neighbors! if only everyone had neighbors like you...oh what a world it would be.
Post a Comment