I remember being asked what "a bridge in Selma" referred to in Obama's speech, so I looked up the phrase and found this blog:
I think it provides an interesting perspective and brings up a point that we, as a nation, need to work on.
The bridge in Selma, AL is the Edmund Pettus Bridge, named after a Confederate Brigadier General, and eventual US senator. On March 7, 1965, "Bloody Sunday," a bloody conflict broke out when armed oficers attacked peaceful civil rights demonstrators as they marched over the bridge.
I realize that I have my opinions and views and I disagree with others who have different opinions and views, but I do believe that we should look at politics and religion with an open mind, an open eye, and most importantly, an open heart. It is then that we can compromise and change things for the better. It is then that we can come together in unity. It is then that we can make this country great.
It is sad that even though there was record voter turnout in this election, so many people blindly voted, as shown in the video on my best friend's blog:
And I admit that some of the questions posed, I could not answer as well. This election has inspired me to be a more active and educated citizen.
Thank you for listening and please, comment if you would like.
2 comments:
I love your paragraph about open minds, eyes, and hearts. It's something I too hope for. I may not agree with the results of the election, or the ways of government the last 8 years for that matter, but I love my country and have sacrificed much for her, and will always do so.
I found this video on youtube. It asks some of the same questions you did when I first posted that video. It makes a good point about how uneducated and misinformed many Obama supporters were/are. Too bad they weren't knowledgeable while voting. Why vote for someone or something blind?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfpQfOENzjs
...how cute, my word verification is "snail"
=)
Post a Comment