Sacramento Love

Sacramento Love
Him + Me = We

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

AmeriCorps Year of Service

At the end of July I was checking my email, and I noticed a job alert for an AmeriCorps position with Playworks.  It was for a Program Coordinator, which would require me to serve as a recess "coach" at an inner-city school.  I would provide organized recess, class game time, implement a youth development junior coach program, participate in an out-of-school time program (before care or after care), and help run the evening skill-building sports leagues.  It sounds like a lot (and it is), but all the 5 components work together to help decrease conflict; provide a safe, inclusive, healthy place for kids to play and expend energy; and re-focus children so they are ready to learn when they return to the classroom.  In a nutshell, it seemed like a perfect fit.

I had heard of Playworks at a career fair while I was an undergrad (it was called Sports4Kids then).  At that time, the organization was only serving Baltimore, Boston, and Oakland.  The organization piqued my interest as it focused on getting kids active in a healthy, positive way.  The Playworks Mission: To improve the health and well-being of children by increasing opportunities for physical activity and safe, meaningful play.  As I was starting to get interested in energy balance at that point, I was excited to learn more about the organization.  However, I was not ready to move to any of those cities.  So what did I do instead?  Lived abroad in a foreign country for two months.  Duh.

Naturally, as my MPH degree concentration is Physical Activity in Public Health, the organization seemed a perfect fit.  I looked into it in the Spring, but didn't really go any further than that.  At the end of July, however, I decided to apply.  Why not?  I was waiting to hear back from the interviews I'd had and it didn't hurt to put myself out there.  Besides that, I already loved the organization from my previous research and I believed that there was some reason that at that particular moment Playworks was in DC and looking for help and I was in DC and looking for work.

An hour after I submitted my application I got an email inviting me to interview on the following Tuesday (it was Friday.).  Talk about quick!!  I interviewed and it went great!  The AmeriCorps piece means I have to complete 1700 hours by the end of the 10-month service commitment.  This includes my daily work in the schools, monthly service projects, and community building activities with the other AmeriCorps members.  At the end of the 10 months I will be terminated, but there is room to grow in the company if that is what I want (which it is) and if they want me to return to the organization (which all signs point towards yes so far).  :)  Here's the kicker...the job started on the following Monday!  Talk about quick turnaround!  After serious deliberation, I decided it was too perfect a fit to pass up.

Since I am an AmeriCorps member I don't technically "work for" Playworks, but I am "serving my AmeriCorps term of service with Playworks."  The first two weeks were "Pre-Service" aka orientation to what Playworks is, what the job entails, etc.  We were lucky enough to have the Jackson, MS team join us for the first week.  They were FABULOUS!!  Seriously loved them.  Suuper missing my men Toney P and Sean aka Hot Fudge Thunder.  We also got to meet a few of the national team members and the Program Director from Baltimore.  Everyone was really nice and we had a lot of fun.  Thursday of that week we went to laser tag (hence the aka name above).  How freakin fun was that??  I haven't played in probably 10 years.

The DC program team consists of 16 Program Coordinators (PCs), 1 Program Manager (PM), and 1Program Director (PD).  Our office staff consists of the amazing Program Associate, Development Associate, and City Executive Director.  It is a great group.  We are serving 15 schools and have an extra PC called the flex who travels between the different sites to support and bring best practices and new ideas to the PCs at the 15 schools.  I am the DC Flex (which I normally say while I flex my muscles).  I really love it.  At first I wanted my own school so I could develop the relationship with the kids and the school community, but then when the PD described the flex position during the 2nd week of pre-service, I thought, hey, that is totally me.  It really fits with my background and personality.

So I have been in schools for about 5 weeks now and while I ABSOLUTELY love it, my body seems to be having trouble getting used to the idea of playing at recess for 1-3.5 hours a day plus another hour after school.  It's an exhausting job, but I have grown and learned so much already.  Every day is eye opening and touching and frustrating and exhilarating and exhausting.  It's been an interesting week physically as I deal with plantar fasciitis and shingles, but I should be back in action on Monday and ready to play some ro-sham-bo and give a LOT of high fives!

1 comment:

kristene said...

You are amazing...and articulate as well! :-)