Sacramento Love

Sacramento Love
Him + Me = We

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Natural Disaster Week

So Tuesday we had an earthquake...I was en route from one elementary school to another (more on the new job to come), so luckily I wasn't with any kids during the quake.  I, however, did not feel a thing!!!  I was on the bus!  I feel left out :-p  Though, since a quake of this magnitude only happens once a century here, people thought a) there was an attack of some sort; b) the construction going on in their building was reaching new heights of disruptive-ness; c) had no idea what was going on.  Jesse felt it during his lunch break and knew what was going on.  He texted me to see if I was ok, and I was walking down the street through a beautiful park and had no idea what he was talking about.  Cell phones weren't working except for text messages.  Of course the entire city got evacuated, so the commute home took 2.5 hours!!  Metro was running at reduced speed while they inspected the 106 miles of tracks and everyone and their mother was trying to smush onto the train.  It was less than ideal, to say the least!  Abby was fine and there wasn't any real indication except for one crooked photo in our apartment.  Schools were closed on Wednesday, so I had the day off.  I slept until noon!!!  It was quite restorative after the busy/physically demanding first few weeks of work!!

The panic for hurricane Irene started Friday night.  I went to the grocery store, along with everyone else in Northern Virginia, it seems. I felt pretty prepared and was only really worried about losing power.

After a very rainy Saturday filled with chores, we have survived Irene's wrath with no damage, but also no power!  At some point during the night our apartment complex lost power, though none of the surrounding area did.  Can we say frustrating?  And since Dominion was so hard hit in North Carolina and the rest of Virginia (1.2 million customers affected), our power isn't expected to be restored until Monday night between 5-9pm!!! **correction: POWER HAS BEEN RESTORED!!!! a mere hour after I wrote this. woohoo!**

Here are some pictures from the nature walk by my house...I didn't make it very far!  Too dangerous!

 Lots of debris

Look at all that water!  Will I be able to cross?

No way, Jose!  The water is rushing over some of the stumps 
toward the top of the photo (sorry for the sideways view)!

Otherwise Abby and I are doing fine.  Jesse is missing out, what with being on vacation and all!  What a week!!  

No comments: