Wow. Apologies for the long absence. I have been swept up in the day-to-day chaos that comes with working with kids & being exhausted on the weekends!!
In the fall I joined an adult kickball league with some co-workers. Such fun! We won all our games except the last one, which was a joke.
I kept up the flex gig until Thanksgiving week, when I was stationed at one school due to the school hiring our PC as the PE teacher. I was quite upset at first, but by the end of my 6-week stint there, I had fallen in love with the kids and finally gotten the program to where I wanted it. I did get to keep coaching the 4th/5th grade girls basketball team with the coach we hired to take over the school. So much fun and I found out that I quite enjoy refereeing, which seems odd, but there it is. :) Our team is the Fireworks (only because I really wanted Katie Perry's song to be our theme song :-p). I am so proud of how far the girls have come since we started. They even begged the other coach for more games!!
I am back to flexing and it was a difficult transition back again since I love my babies at Capitol Hill, but now that I've been back at it I realize how much I like it. Though I also realize how much my body doesn't as I got sick again. I also tripped over a kid playing soccer on asphalt & sprained my wrist. Ugh.
We have been enjoying the mild winter, though I could do with some actual snow. We've had some weenie snows, but a few inches that stay a few days would feel like winter to me. During Presidents' Day weekend I got to do some touristing. Sunday I met my friend Sarah in Gettysburg. She is going to medical school in Hershey & it is about halfway between, so we always said we'd meet up there. Since her graduation is coming up, we decided we'd better get to it! It was really neat. We saw the amazing cyclorama exhibit & walked around the battlefield. There was also a fife & drum band!
Monday I went to Mt Vernon with my friends Jim & Jean. It was free for Washington's birthday & there were a ton of people!! But there was an amazing fife & drum band (I seem to love those!) and the weather was beautiful.
I am also the new Editorial Manager for the Journal of Physical Activity & Health, which is allowing me to keep my brain in the academic world.
Jesse started nursing school and is doing brilliantly! So proud of my man. :)
Need to start thinking about what to do after my AmeriCorps year is over, but for now I think I'll just keep playing!
No comments:
Post a Comment