Sacramento Love

Sacramento Love
Him + Me = We

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Meeting an American Hero

While flying home from our Christmas vacation on Sunday December 30, 2012, my husband and I had a 4 hour layover in Denver.  We each took turns to take a walk around while the other sat with the bags.

While it was my turn to sit, a little old couple sat down in the row next to me.  I didn't pay much attention as I was reading a magazine, but I did notice that the man had gone to the United Club and gotten his wife hot chocolate and Milano cookies.  At one point a woman came up and addressed them as Senator and Mrs something and told them that she worked for former President George HW Bush and she had visited him before he got sick this fall.  She told them that they had discussed people President Bush admired and he had mentioned both of them.  I thought that was really sweet, but seeing as they were quite elderly, I didn't think anything of who they might be.

As we were getting ready for a 3 hour flight, I took the opportunity to do some leg stretches.  My husband returned with some mint tea for me, which was quite sweet.  We sat down and the woman leaned over to ask what exercises I was doing.  I told her I was just stretching to prepare for the flight and she said that was good.  She and her husband were returning home after their annual ski trip to Vail with the family.  She said, "I wasn't able to go this year as I have new knees, but next year!" She then told us that her husband always says, "Keep your mind busy and your body busy and you won't rust out."

We were talking about the snow and I mentioned that we had called our neighbor who was watching our cat to see about the snow.  She asked all about our cat and told us to look at her cane (which featured Siamese cats).  They had two cats, one just passed away about 5 months ago and the other 2 years ago and she "just loved those cats.  They talked to me and just got me and I got them."

She also told us that she and her husband would be celebrating their 70th anniversary this year! She showed us her ring and told us her husband had only paid $125 for it!  I told her Jesse wouldn't tell me how much mine cost and she thought that was a smart idea. :)  She told us they knew each other from the time they were two years old because her "mother and dad were best friends with his mother and dad."  I asked her if they always liked each other or not until they were older and she said they always played together and then in high school they were steady.  They wanted to get married but their parents said they had to go to college first, so they went to the local college and he had given her her ring already, but then the war started and he joined up.

Jesse asked what branch he served in and she said he was a Marine Corps pilot.  Then she said his name was John Glenn and Jesse said, "like the astronaut??"  She nodded.  Mrs Glenn asked what kind of drink Jesse had gotten me and she said she just loves a Starbucks green tea frappuccino!

We continued chatting about the snow and Mr Glenn came back.  She told him she wanted to introduce us so we shook hands and introduced ourselves.  She also told us about how nice it was that the woman had told her President Bush admired them.  She said they always like him, they weren't in his party, but they liked him. :)  And that after her husband was retiring from the Senate (he served as an Ohio senator for 25 years) that one of their friends from the Library of Congress suggested Mr Glenn archive his papers at a university, so he chose The Ohio State University.  While we had been talking about snow initially, Jesse had looked up the weather and told us all that there were flurries expected for Tuesday, to which Mr Glenn said, "Oh that's good.  Just not Sunday night!  Wait until we get home."  I concurred.  At that point I think it was time for them to board, so we said our goodbyes, happy new years' wishes, and "see you on the plane!"

As we passed them in their first class seats she said it was nice that I still had the drink my husband had gotten me and I told her, "I got a good one, just like you!"  She said, "Aren't we lucky? Hold on!" Seriously, so adorable!!!

Once we de-planed, we headed towards the people mover to go to baggage claim.  We were pretty far back, so I didn't think we'd be seeing our new friends again, but as it turns out, they had stopped for that green tea frappuccino (though apparently the line was too long and Mr Glenn rushed Mrs Glenn over to the people mover so she didn't get her drink)!  They sat down next to us again and I said, "Are you following us?!" while Mrs Glenn was saying, "I promise we aren't following you!"  Mr Glenn was going to stand, but as it got more crowded he sat down.  Before he sat down, Mr Glenn said, "She's addicted to those green tea frappuccinos! If Betty Ford had a clinic for Starbucks, she'd be there!!"  The flight crew joined us and started talking shop about flying with Mr Glenn. I snuck a picture of the cute couple then.



They were just so sweet and down to earth.  It would have made my day to have that camaraderie with any couple who were in their 90s and still going strong, but the fact that it was John and Annie Glenn just made it so much more special.

What a wonderful way to send off 2012!!  Happy New Year!  May 2013 bless you.

No comments: