May has brought lots of fun and some frustrations as well.
My boss was in town twice, which is rare as she lives in Chicago. She put me in charge of a pretty cool project and I've got two people helping me out on it: one undergrad and one post-bacc volunteer. :-) They are pretty fun girls. My friend Rose isn't working officially for the lab anymore, so I don't get to see her, which is very sad, though she does pop in every now and then, so that is good. :-) There was a lot of confusion with my job since my position originally was extended until the end of April, and well, April ended. So there was some scrambling at the beginning of May and I was told everything worked out. I had been approved for work until the end of July. PERFECT! Yesterday I got an email saying that I am eligible for benefits and that they couldn't pay me because I hadn't been "hired" but they had been emailing me to an email address that doesn't exist...well it must exist since they didn't get notice that it didn't, but I don't have access to it. SO, hopefully everything has been rectified.
We are still waiting to see how much, if any, funding we will get from a Stafford loan. A lot is riding on that and they said I will be notified by August...yikes!!!
We have to call on Monday to see if there are any apartments available at the place we want to live. Please send good vibes/thoughts/prayers that that works out.
Jesse put his transfer application in and we are still waiting to hear about that as well.
Finally, I gave my ring to the jeweler so he could design the band and I still haven't gotten it back!! Jesse says we can get it tomorrow (and hopefully the other two if they come in!). I miss wearing it and have almost forgotten what it's like to wear it. :-( He's had it for like, 3 weeks.
Now onto the fun stuff!!! We had a really great time having our families meet at the beginning of May. Everyone came up from Fresno and we had brunch at Jesse's parents' house.
I had a very enjoyable dinner party with the young adults at Sac State Newman. Such a fun bunch! I am hosting a game night at the end of June for the group which should be fantastic!
I actually got to relax a few weekends this month!! I hadn't done that since March!!! This past weekend I went to SF with Steph, Duke, Dylan, Mom, John, and Alex. We met up with Uncle Dennis and his goddaughter Elizabeth to see Spamalot. HILARIOUS. The drawback was that everyone in my room on Saturday night snored!! I ended up sleeping in the bathtub from 2am-6am and then restlessly sleeping in the bed from 6:30-8:30am. Everyone went to breakfast and I stayed and slept until 11am! It was nice and they even brought me pancakes! Then Mom and Steph went shoe shopping and I went up to the pool...I had it all to myself! It was very peaceful and relaxing. We spent the commute time trying to think of adjectives that start with "S" because my sister, while working at the VA hospital, came up with the term "s.o.m.b." which means "saggy old man balls." Imagine the hilarity that insued (ensued?) when we all started coming up with S adjectives!! Apparently we weren't the most popular people on BART as we kept yelling s words at each other!
We looked at our cross country trip route again and tweaked it some more last night. I must say, I am really excited about Mt. Rushmore! :-) If anyone knows a good place to stop in WY, WI or SD that isn't skeezy, let me know (haha, I just reread that sentence and thought "San Diego" instead of "South Dakota" oops! California thinking)!
I love my family and friends I am going to miss the fun adventures we have when we move away. I am also going to miss the fruit!!! I am such a fruit snob and it is going to be a real challenge to buy fruit that isn't fresh from the field. :-(
Love you, me.
No comments:
Post a Comment