I had a review session for my Advanced Exercise Physiology class from 1pm-2:30pm Wednesday, so we weren't able to get as early a start on our trip to Ithaca, NY to see Jesse's aunt as we would have liked. However, being the diligent student that I am, I went...along with pretty much everyone else in the class. Gotta love grad students. :) I had spent the morning packing all my things after dropping Mom and John off at the metro station so they could catch their train to NYC.
Jesse picked me up at the metro station and we headed out at about 3:30pm. There was a lot of traffic getting out of DC, but it wasn't too bad. We hit Harrisburg as dark fell and the Capital building lit up over the Susquehanna River was stunning. We made it to Ithaca at 11:30pm. We were absolutely exhausted by the time we got there as we hadn't been getting the best sleep due to the air mattress...
Cathy and George were there to greet us and we had a snack before hitting the hay. Cathy told us to sleep in as late as we needed to since she knew we were tired. We got up around 10:30am. :) I watched the Parade and peeled brussel sprouts while Jesse got ready and Cathy cooked. At about noon or so we left to go get Keatin from his dad's house. It was a beautiful, crisp day, so we drove through Cornell and down by Cayuga Lake (one of the finger lakes), and got a feel for what Ithaca is like. It was all beautiful!
We got back to the house and made antipasto for lunch. DELICIOUS. I think Heaven is filled with Antipasto. We went for an easy hike to a waterfall after lunch (after we took the turkey out) and played hangman while we walked on Keatin's new phone. :) He got a droid.
We made the finishing touches on the side dishes and carved up the turkey with Lorna, George's daughter. One breast of the 25 pound turkey was more than enough to feed all 7 of us! Cathy made a lot more food than we needed so she could have the leftovers :)
After dinner we talked and visited and had an enjoyable evening. I forgot to bring my camera, but Cathy took pictures, so hopefully I'll have some soon!!
We left yesterday at 11am after taking a tour of Cathy's 6.25 acres and all the various old buildings on it. Her house is from the 19th century, and there is a barn, a woodshed, a cabbage house (complete with remnants of past refrigeration technology), and a few greenhouse buildings (with old furnaces and coal bins). It was great. She has an amazing view of Cornell and downtown Ithaca from her hill.
The drive went smoothly, though we did hit bits of frozen drizzle snow, but nothing too insane. It took us 7 hours to get home, but we stopped more than we did on the way up. I got to talk to Uncle Dennis on the phone and he sounded great. Sounds like he had a fab Turkey Day as well! We are going to visit him on Dec 21st, right before his next chemo round.
I dropped Jesse off at work this morning (6:45am! yuck.) and got lost on the way home as I have never taken him before and it was really early. :-p Today and tomorrow I plan on being productive with work and school since my finals are rapidly approaching!!! (one this week and a presentation, and three next week!)
Hope you had a happy holiday!! Love, me.
No comments:
Post a Comment