Sacramento Love

Sacramento Love
Him + Me = We

Sunday, January 20, 2008

oh you know, just what's up :-)

Howdy!



Thai food Thursday was delicious. Friday after school Amelia and I went to a nearby town with some of the teachers from school to take pictures and enroll students in an afterschool program she's organizing and I'm going to volunteer with. It was really sad to see the depth of the poverty...another woman named Jo was there for a bit with us and brought lollipops for the kids...it KILLED me to give them out because their teeth were in such bad condition and they were so poor. =/ We also saw some goats walking down the road...Finally a pic of Amelia and me! (on the chicken bus on the way home to Antigua...chicken buses are so-called because they pack everyone on so full that it's like transporting chickens)



I have been reading the newspaper and yesterday there was an article about the malnutrition statistics of Guatemala. There was also one on how playing sports and being active is important to start as kids! I cut them out. :-) On Tuesday there was one on "light" foods so my teacher and I talked about that for the first hour of class on Wednesday and I bought her a Nalgene bottle to get her to drink more water. I bought one for myself, too, since I forgot all 4 of mine at home. Rico, Kelly, Ebbe, and I went out to Riki's bar on Friday night after dinner. It was fun. Kelly had to get up early to go to Atitlan on Saturday, so we left around 11:30pm. Ebbe met an old Danish millionnaire, so we left him at the bar and apparently they went to two other bars/parties after and the guy kept buying him drinks...



Yesterday was so lovely and relaxing! Slept in, walked around getting Mass times from different churches, looked at the ruins of two of the churches, relaxed in the afternoon, and watched Knocked Up and Superbad at Cafe 2000. After the movies we went to Ebbe's house and sat on the terrace talking. It was a beautiful night. The moon and the stars were bright and we even saw some fireworks! The pictures below are a view of the sky through the ruins of the Cathedral and me in some kind of underground room at the Cathedral...it was really dark and creepy in case you can't tell from the picture. :-p



Today we decided to change our plans and not go to the reforestation project because the boys wanted to rent motorcycles and we were going to go adventuring...BUT after I got back from church, the boys came home and said it was too expensive, so we didn't go. Instead I helped them study verbs and vocabulary and now we're at the Internet cafe. We are going to meet Amelia to watch Juno this evening, though. And I have to go to the grocery store to get some food for the weekends, some toilet paper for the weekends, and some plastic utensils for the weekends...our family locks their part of the house which keeps the refrigerator, the dishes, and the extra toilet paper. Today we haven't seen them at all, so we haven't had access to anything! Así es la vida...

I really do love it here now, and I am starting to get sad that I'm leaving in a month! And I did realize that I will actually spend 7 weeks here, not 6! Haha, oops! I'm still learning a lot and loving school and my friends. Tomorrow Ebbe and I have a dance class. We're gonna shake it like it's hot...cuz we ARE the cutest people in Guatemala. :-) I love the way people say Guatemala...it's kind of got an upswing in the tone of voice on the -mala...I can't explain it in text, but it's awesome.

Oh, and if anyone has a Skype account, let me know! My Skype name is alivaux.


Love you all, thanks for reading and commenting!!! Love, me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they're called chicken buses is because in Mexico and a lot of Latin American countries, people would ride the bus to the market and buy live chickens for food and haul them back home on the bus. They would be running around loose or sometimes they'd be in cages. Now they buy them already dead and plucked!!!!
Love, Uncle Jim

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl.....I miss you terribly. There are 67 people applying for the DI this year, so it's good that you are far, far, away. I loved Juno, hope you enjoyed it too. I'm glad to see you are having such a great time. I'm really proud of you for having the courage to do such a thing. I'll keep reading if you keep posting.
Love, Vita (aka, the best boss in the world)

Madi said...

i wanna see juno! and enchanted....

and because i was all bitter just then, i forgot what i really wanted to say! seriously!! you can't tell, but i've been sitting here for like, 3 minutes trying to remember what i originally wanted to say, and my bitterness stole it away! Asi es la vida....

anyhoooo, i had a skype until sasha ate the cord to the camera, and chewed my mic to shards...that and i forgot all of my skype info, but i'll work on it. okiedokie. i'm off to finish my laundry before i head back to work. it's so cloudy and uugh outside, i hope it really rains so my kids and i can just stay in. and i still have that dang cough. do you? besos y abrazos!!!

Angela said...

okay so question miss alison.....gimmie the 411 on ebbe...is there a connection or not?! you know i like the juicy details....haha. oh and i REALLY needed you yesterday...meltdown and a half but i guess i'll just have to wait till you get back here to tell you in person! : )