I found out that my mom's friend, Mrs. Daw, who watched me grow up from the time we moved here, through band in high school, passed away. It's not a fun experience to lose someone you are close to, and there has been so much of that going on lately. I don't know what to think, but can only pray that the Lord embrace Mayelo, Ethan, Mary, Alex and Mrs. Daw and welcome them home. My heart also goes out to the Greife's, who had to put their 20 year old cat, Goldie, down last week. I wish I wasn't so far away from all my loved ones during these odd and difficult times. Loves to you all.




The happy part of the first few days of October was the weekend. We got great news Friday afternoon: Jesse got a job as an ER tech at the hospital in Alexandria!! He is so excited and the atmosphere was much more comfortable and welcoming than AMR DC. So we were thrilled to have such fun plans through which to celebrate! Friday night (instead of going out with Javier, whose travel plans had changed) we met up with my new friend, Leigh, from North Carolina to see the Hangover. It was really funny. We went to the Arlington Cinema 'N Drafthouse...it's a movie theater with a full menu and bar and big cushy seats. Reminds me of the place I went to in Bend, OR. Jesse's seat was broken, though.
Saturday we headed over to Bristow, VA to go wine tasting with Jesse's oldest cousin Jim (Don's son) and his family. Jim's wife is Jan, and they have two kids: Diana, 10, and James, 6. It was a gorgeous day and we had a BLAST!!! We chatted for a little bit at their house, and then went to Panera for lunch. Then we went to Unicorn Winery. We sat outside and enjoyed a glass while the kids got muddy. :) Then we went to the Gray Ghost winery where we killed mosquitoes on each other and enjoyed another glass. We got kicked out at 5pm sharp, but I had to go to the bathroom!! Jimmy called us on the way home and suggested we go to the grocery store and buy stuff to cook-out (love the lingo out here) and I could go to the bathroom. I said the only thing that I wanted was green onions. I was, in a word, drunk at this point...such a light weight. Oops! Jesse talked them into buying a sirloin roast instead of steaks, and they were skeptical about how it would turn out on a grill. At first Jesse wanted tri-tip and I had to break the news that the East Coast doesn't know what that is. :(
Some of Jimmy and Jan's neighbors (and kids) came over to join us for dinner. Val and Tim (it was Tim's 40th birthday so we had cupcakes) were really fun, too. I'm just gonna brag and say that Jesse's roast was an immense success and my onions were loved as well. We impressed them and they are excited to have new things to cook. :)
After dinner we watched YouTube videos on appletv. It was so fun to see that we have the same sense of humor and enjoyed comedy bits.
We have already planned our next outing, though we aren't sure when it's going to happen...but we are going to go eat at Founding Farmers, a cute, local-food restaurant on 20th and Penn and then have drinks at the Hotel W that overlooks the White House and has great views of the city. We also have plans to go to an Ethiopian restaurant in Adams-Morgan with the whole crew and were delighted to hear that they don't know what the spongy bread is called either and therefore call it the spongy bread. :-p
Today I had a beautiful day. The weather was lovely again and I went to church, Macy's, Harris Teeter (grocery store) before going home to hit the books. At Harris Teeter (or Harry Teets as Javier calls it) I had to use a parking meter, which, luckily, the woman before me had left 22 minutes on because I only had 1 quarter which meant my grand total time to spend in the store was: 37 minutes. I felt like I was on the show "Super Market Sweep!" :-p But I made it and found everything, even got special help from the meat dept in 35 minutes and $20 under budget!! Woot. After I studied, we went to the Air Force Memorial. It was really neat and had great views.
I called the toll-free number to get the audio tour :) The three spires (one of them up to 207 ft high!) can be interpreted as the Thunderbirds taking flight. They look different as the light changes throughout the day and are really pretty when they are lit up at night. The memorial is open from 8am-11pm! The guard looked bored. :(
view of the Pentagon from the Air Force Memorial
Dedicated by GWB
Thanks for your service, airmen.
Then we drove over to Alexandria just to drive around and wound our way back home. We had left-over flank steak and polenta for dinner and I studied some more. We are having issues with our Netflix because I didn't take some of the NCIS discs off since I thought we hadn't seen some of the episodes, but I was wrong, so the last 3 DVDs we haven't even watched!! Jesse said he's going through NCIS withdrawals. :) Silly boy.
I hope you are having a great October thus far!! Miss you. Love, me.
1 comment:
Thanks for your prayers with us and know that we're praying for you and your friends. DC life sounds amazing! Keep blogging!
Post a Comment