Goodbye breakfast visitors!!
We stopped at SaveMart on our way out of town and as I walked into the store the song from the credits in Anastasia (the animated film) came on and it was the PERFECT song to start this journey! Here are the lyrics:
At the Beginning
"We were strangers
Starting out on a journey
Never dreaming
What we'd have to go through
Now here we are
And I'm suddenly standing
At the beginning with you
No one told me
I was going to find you
Unexpected
What you did to my heart
When I lost hope
You were there to remind me
This is the start
And...
Life is a road
And I want to keep going
Love is a river
I wanna keep flowing
Life is a road
Now and forever
Wonderful journey
I'll be there
When the world stops turning
I'll be there
When the storm is through
In the end I wanna be standing
At the beginning with you
We were strangers
On a crazy adventure
Never dreaming
How our dreams would come true
Now here we stand
Unafraid of the future
At the beginning with you
And...
Life is a road
And I want to keep going
Love is a river
I wanna keep flowing
Life is a road
Now and forever
Wonderful journey
I'll be there
When the world stops turning
I'll be there
When the storm is through
In the end I wanna be standing
At the beginning with you
I knew there was somebody somewhere
Like me alone in the dark
Now I know my dream will live on
I've been waiting so long
Nothing's gonna tear us apart
And...
Life is a road
And I want to keep going
Love is a river
I wanna keep flowing
Life is a road
Now and forever
Wonderful journey
I'll be there
When the world stops turning
I'll be there
When the storm is through
In the end I wanna be standing
At the beginning with you"
Starting out on a journey
Never dreaming
What we'd have to go through
Now here we are
And I'm suddenly standing
At the beginning with you
No one told me
I was going to find you
Unexpected
What you did to my heart
When I lost hope
You were there to remind me
This is the start
And...
Life is a road
And I want to keep going
Love is a river
I wanna keep flowing
Life is a road
Now and forever
Wonderful journey
I'll be there
When the world stops turning
I'll be there
When the storm is through
In the end I wanna be standing
At the beginning with you
We were strangers
On a crazy adventure
Never dreaming
How our dreams would come true
Now here we stand
Unafraid of the future
At the beginning with you
And...
Life is a road
And I want to keep going
Love is a river
I wanna keep flowing
Life is a road
Now and forever
Wonderful journey
I'll be there
When the world stops turning
I'll be there
When the storm is through
In the end I wanna be standing
At the beginning with you
I knew there was somebody somewhere
Like me alone in the dark
Now I know my dream will live on
I've been waiting so long
Nothing's gonna tear us apart
And...
Life is a road
And I want to keep going
Love is a river
I wanna keep flowing
Life is a road
Now and forever
Wonderful journey
I'll be there
When the world stops turning
I'll be there
When the storm is through
In the end I wanna be standing
At the beginning with you"
I know, right?!! Here are some more pics and captions.






Adios California. In Truckee, "The Thong Song" came on the radio. Thought it was hilarious, so I wrote it down for posterity. My last memory of that song is driving home from Guys and Dolls my freshman year of high school with Kennan and Andrew.
Hello Nevada!!
Salt flats!
In Lovelock, we came across this lovely dining establishment...we didn't go in.
Instead, we stopped at the Chevron and made PB&J outside on the sidewalk. Yep. Classy. :)
And all the towns on the railroad have the first letter of the town name on the side of the hills so in the olden days the engineer knew where he was!
When we reached Winnemucca, we saw a billboard for "Pussycat Ranch: Bar, jacuzzi, massage...Truckers welcome." Apparently, NV has legal prostitution and we have an inkling this "ranch" might have something to do with that...
Winnemucca also featured "Ben's Discount Liquor" which was a HUGE barn-like building that resembled a BevMo, but for some reason had a slightly less respectable connotation.
We stopped in Elko for dinner at Mattie's Bar & Grill. Great service and food. We also picked up some car snacks at the Raley's.
We listened to the entire book And You Know You Should Be Glad by Bob Greene which maybe wasn't the best since it's about childhood friends and one of them gets cancer and dies...but we followed up with some Dane Cook and Bill Engvall to lighten the mood. :)
Tomorrow we head to Yellowstone for a few days, then to Mt. Rushmore, then Watertown, SD where my grandpa grew up, then Minneapolis, Chicago, and Columbus as a stopping point. We may stop in Fr. Wayne to see Jesse's uncle. And on the 19th we arrive in Falls Church, VA. :)
TTFN!
3 comments:
You know I'm totally jealous that you're driving cross country. Sounds like a blast so far...depressing audio and all! Don't forget to stand in 2 places for me!
I admire your thrift in eschewing the cafe in favor of PBJ in the parking lot, but I don't know how you could resist a) "Cowpoke Cafe"!!??? and b) BROASTED chicken!!!! I wouldn't have had the willpower. I would have been sucked in like the cat fur that never gets sucked up the vacuum at A.M's house.
So cool about the Anastasia song -- how perfect! But I don't think the thong song was ironic... doesn't everyone change into a thong once they hit Truckee? Or maybe that's only if they're trying to get a job at the Pussycat Ranch... ;)
Post a Comment