Sacramento Love

Sacramento Love
Him + Me = We

Thursday, August 13, 2009

THe Road to Virginia: Day 5

Hello!

Today we ventured forth from Wyoming and entered South Dakota!  We decided to sleep in and when we checked out at 11am, the entire hotel was empty already!!!  It had no vacancy the night before.  Crazy!  We went to Sanford's Pub & Grub and it was great!!  We then walked around downtown Sheridan.  It was super cute.  Wyoming is beautiful, though all of the roads seem to be under construction.  Also, some of the roads are red...anyone know why?We stopped in Buffalo to pee and they had a gas station called "Kum & Go."  Need I say more?  

We decided to go to Sturgis, SD on the way to our hotel and monuments.  Sturgis holds a huge motorcycle rally the first week of August.  We stopped at Rosco's for dinner and the waitress was really nice.  She gave us a Black Hills (Why are they called the black hills?!) map which was really helpful...our AAA map wasn't too detailed.

Jesse wanted to visit Crazy Horse National Monument on the way to Keystone and Mount Rushmore.  On our way we came upon a motorcycle accident.  We stopped and Jesse was brilliant.  The accident had just happened and someone was trying to get 911 on the cell phone, but it was shoddy service.  The woman had hit a deer and skidded.  Her bike was pretty messed up and her helmet had a huge dent in it (thank God she was wearing it!!).  She may have broken her arm, but otherwise she was just scratched up pretty badly.

We continued on our way after the ambulance showed up.  We got to Crazy Horse at 8pm and walked around a bit, but our goal was 9pm at Mt. Rushmore so we left about 8:25pm.  We got to Mt. Rushmore in time for the ranger talk and the lighting ceremony.  I was so excited I was jumping up and down like a little kid!!  It was beautiful.  I cried.  After the monument was lit, they invited all of the military veterans down for the presentation of the colors.  A girl scout troupe from Iowa took the flag down.  I cried again.

It was a great day in all.  We have a super long day tomorrow driving to Watertown, but I can't wait to meet Aunt Dorothy!!!  And Aggie, grandma's MOH!!  She is 101 years old and "still full of the devil" according to Dorothy.  :)  

Here's a video of the monument (it starts out dark, so give it a bit...it's the lighting of the monument).  Gorgeous.  Oh, and ps: we got 35.9 mpg today!!  Awesome!

5 comments:

kristene said...

I was crying right there with 'ya when I saw the video. So happy you are having such a grand time. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you didn't venture into Indiana for a spell? They're the state that puts red dye into their highways because red is the school color for IU.
Uncle Jim

SVoyles said...

Wow, I bet that lady was happy that a real life EMT came to her rescue. Yay, Jesse, for being a hero! :)

Madi said...

so cool. can't wait to see it in person.

KP said...

Yay, thank goodness the jicaros arrived!!! I was getting worried...well it only took 1.5 months, that's a record from Nica so far. And yes they were painted by Anna! I think I explained what the figures were in my letter, but if I didn't tell me ASAP!!! Your roadtrip looks like so much fun! I can't wait to see all those places you are visiting! Suerte con el resto de su viaje!